Effect of covid on heart:
Post covid – High incidence of cardiac arrest post covid (Covid infection turn out to be a risk factor to the heart)
5says to maintain a healthy heart:
- Lifestyle modification
healthy diet with a high quantity of antioxidants, fresh fruit juices, salads, mixed seeds.
Cholesterol free diet, avoid junk food, avoid eating outside the home,
Regular exercise: brisk walking every day for 30mins, OR 45mins for 3days a week.
Physical exercise should be in moderation especially in the gym (avoid over-exercising which increases the pressure on the heart. This extra stress to the heart post covid is not healthy.
Add Yoga and meditation to your exercise regime rather than weight lifting
- Young adults should undergo complete heart evaluation before adding any new activity to their life like taking protein supplements, taking medication to boost muscle growth or body weight, before going for adventurous sports, before any stressful job.
- Annual heart evaluation for everyone should include Physical examination, Blood test, ECG, Echo, and TMT. Blood test for Hemoglobin, cholesterol levels, thyroid disease, Liver function, and Kidney function.
- If you have pre-existing cardiac disease, hypertension or you are on cardiac medication, evaluation every 6 months with the cardiologist is a must. You should also continue your medication for hypertension, diabetes, or any pre-existing illness under the supervision of the doctor. If you have suffered from covid in the past, it is important for you to consult your doctor who shall evaluate your heart and revise your medication dosage.
- Create a work-life balance. You should have a minimum of 6hrs of sleep every day at a fixed time. Erratic sleep pattern is a major risk factor for cardiac problems. Sleep patterns should be fixed, sound sleep, and regular without any sleep-inducing medication.
- Learn and apply stress management techniques in your daily life. This helps to keep the stress level under control without affecting the heart. Destress techniques like Listening to music, singing, yoga, reading books, talking to friends, playing sports, breathing techniques, meditation.
Spend quality time with friends
- Take good care of mental and emotional health. Discuss the problems with experts, take up counseling sessions and Avoid drinking, smoking, drugs, or self-medication. Spend quality time with friends & family and be happy always.
- Be aware of your risk factors and take timely and effective action to reduce the risk to your physical, mental, and emotional health. Spend time every day to think about your health.
Stay Good At Heart: 5 Ways to Maintain A Healthy Heart During Covid Times
The year 2020 wasn’t just another new year. Everything saw an unexpected change that was highly unpredictable. Amidst all the circumstances and attempts to make safe adjustments, something that was hard hit was the health sector of the people). The surge of coronavirus took a toll on the health more so on the heart health sector, but nevertheless, we are overcoming the unforgiving scenario.
Amongst all other problems, heart health deteriorated in many recovered patients. The risk of cardiac arrest increased post covid, which means that covid became a risk factor to heart health. Inflammation of the heart muscle called myocarditis is noted as a post-viral complication leading to many major and minor heart problems. But, everything stands eligible for improvement and recovery. With time and significant precautionary measures, heart health can improve.
So, let’s look at six ways you can maintain a healthy heart during covid times:
- Lifestyle Change and Modification
A highly promising method to bring real improvement is a healthy lifestyle change. Medicines last for a few months, but lifestyle changes are permanent.
- Planning a healthy diet consisting of a high quantity of antioxidants, fresh fruit juices, salads, and mixed seeds is the way to go.
- Make a point that your diet is mostly free from cholesterol and junk food items.
- The more you prefer to eat home-cooked meals, the better the results.
- Regular exercise is a must. Try walking briskly for 30 minutes every day.
- Sleep on a fixed time and for a minimum of 6hours a day.
- Avoid drinking, smoking and drugs.
- Gymnasium Care
Exercise and going to the gym every day is a part of our healthy life. But one should know about the warning signs and the right way to go for heavy goal-oriented exercises or activities. Be cautious inside the gym;
- The physical exercises in the gym should be in moderation to avoid putting a lot of pressure on your heart.
- Young adults should undergo complete heart evaluation before adding any new activity in the gym like taking protein supplements, taking medication to boost muscle growth or body weight, before starting heavy weight lifting or going for adventurous sports.
3. Keep a regular check on heart health
Annual heart evaluation for everyone should include Physical examination, Blood test, ECG, Echo, and TMT. Blood test for Hemoglobin, cholesterol levels, thyroid disease, Liver function, and Kidney function and consultation with Cardiologist.
- Heart evaluation every 6 months – If you have pre-existing cardiac disease, hypertension, or cardiac medication. You should also continue your cure for hypertension, diabetes, or any pre-existing illness under the doctor’s supervision.
- Heart evaluation once every year – for every individual above 20yrs. This is highly recommended because covid infection has put our heart at risk of cardiac problems.
- Heart evaluation every month – If you have suffered from severe covid infection in the past, It is important to consult your doctor regularly to re-establish the medication and its dosages.
You need to know where you stand with your heart health conditions.
4. Creating a good work-life balance
Balance is a very important factor making a notable impact on good health. A balance between work and personal life is a major step towards a healthy heart.
- Making a point to sleep for 6 hours per day is crucial.
- When you make goals at work, you also make goals for personal life and family life too.
- Learn to plan your day and follow your to-do list. Be good at time management. This will reduce a lot of stress from your body and heart.
- Learn to take a break at work and relax or exercise. Avoid sitting at workstation for long hours.
- Mark your time when to stop office work and focus on personal health and personal life. Extended working hours take a toll on health.
5. Stress Management
Stress is the cause of multiple health problems. Unfortunately, stress has become a part of everyone’s life. All you can do is learn and apply various stress management techniques in your daily life. Activities like,
- Practise yoga,
- Read a book,
- Play any sport,
- Listen to music.
6. Take care of mental and emotional health
Taking charge of mental and emotional health is crucial, especially during covid times. Mental and emotional health is directly proportional to your happiness and your heart health. So it is important to be happy and relaxed.
- Me Time – Spend time with yourself doing things that you love.
- Being around people you love contributes greatly to your emotional health
- Talk about your problems with your family, friends or counsellors.
- Attend counselling sessions and workshops.
- Spend time with loved ones.
Ultimately, you are exactly how you feel. Be Yourself
If you follow all these steps religiously, you can witness the most satisfactory improvement in your heart health along with overall health improvement.