Pregnancy starts with the release of pregnancy hormone named Beta-HCG. This hormone brings in changes in all the systems of the body. The pregnant lady perceives the symptoms as shortness of breath, pounding heart rate, change in digestion, change in likes and dislike, food eversion, change in taste, mood swings, and many more. She has a new operating body inside her and this is driven by pregnancy hormone. She takes the first 3 months of pregnancy to understand her own new body functions and to get accustomed to them.
Out of all the changes, the mood swing disturbs the couple the most. Some days are happy days for her and somedays she feels very low and continues to cry the whole day. Either way, It is normal to feel so because this is a physiological change happening due to pregnancy.
The lady’s mood swing also affects the partner. The partner also fails to understand why is she behaving differently. He gets confused about what to do and what not to do. He fails in his attempt to keep the mother happy. He gets snapped very often. In severe cases, he also decides to take the mother to a psychiatrist or counsellor for anger management.
Here are 5 ways to handle mood swings in early pregnancy.
- Be aware of your own emotions, especially the moment when u are feeling low or when you feeling angry. Hold your emotions and take a moment before you act. Rest or listen to music, watch a movie, go shopping if you are feeling low. Cry if you feel so. It is okay to feel low or upset. This is all pregnancy drive. Avoid blaming yourself or anyone. This feeling is just momentary and you will feel happy soon.
- Plan a ME time for yourself – Listen to music, go for walk, do your yoga as per doctor’s advice, sing-song. Discuss your feelings with your partner. Talk to him. Do not bottle up your emotions. Let it out. Ask him for help. Make him a partner in this journey.
- The moment when you feel angry at any one person or any situation, Respond to the issue, do not react. Understand that you are emotionally very sensitive at this point in time. You perceive the smallest of issues as a big issue and then you hyper-react which can be more lethal to you. So, Allow your partner to handle all conflicting issues with the family, team-member, staff, kids, or help. If in office, dedicate someone else to handle the issue and come back to you.
- Conflicting issues with partners are very common. Learn not to argue with him over any conflicting issues. Hold your emotions. either come to a consensus or push the argument to a later date. This is because you are not in the best form in terms of mental and emotional well-being. Take up the same issue for discussion beyond 12 weeks of pregnancy when you are emotional more stable and you can make better decisions.
- in case you feel depressed or confused all the time, Discuss with your doctor, partner, mother, sister, friends, or anyone whom you trust and you can resonate with you. See that the other person is calm and a good listener. You need a happy environment and happy people around you. Plan a small vacation, bring a change to your environment.